Friday, April 4, 2008

What Do You Smell Like???

This is part two of the post that began when the guy smoking cigarettes came to our front door and smelled everything up. Nasty smells surround that guy and he doesn't even know it!

Well today I had a rough "re-entry" to our normal life, if there is such a thing. Wednesday nights are always tough around here anyway, and last night was no exception. Which made this morning a difficult day to start, and it got worse from there! There is a point to this, I promise. I'm not just rambling to get you all feeling sorry for me!

By the time dinner rolled around, Mama had HAD IT. And you all know what happens when Mama has Had Enough. So David, being the peacemaker that he is, took me out for a bite to eat leaving the dueling divas here at home. I had a nice dinner, but honestly my mood did not improve like it should have. Until...

We were standing in line at Moe's to buy some rice and beans for Jillian. Just standing there behind two girls out for a quick dinner. They were not beautiful. They were not special. They were not dressed up for an amazing night out; in fact they were quite casual. One girl had a tattoo that said Princess (which I kind of think is funny.) The other looked like she had worked as a receptionist all day and was glad to get to some real food. They were just standing there. But I caught a whiff of princess-tattoo girl's perfume. I don't know what it was. But suddenly, everything was right again. In that slightest of smells I was reminded of sweet summer nights when it is worth putting a dab of perfume on. I was reminded of being happy, of the lightheartedness of standing in line at Moe's. I was reminded that life is good. All from just the littlest sniff of an unknown perfume.

I love a world where God makes smells that transport us to another place in a heartbeat. And once more, back to my metaphor of being a fragrant offering to God in all we do, I wonder what we smell like.

No comments: