Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ten (no, six) Reasons We All Need A Sabbatical

For the past three weeks, roughly, I have experienced complete freedom as an adult. I have been able to go to bed when I have wanted to. I have read books, gone to the gym, shopped and chosen not to shop. In short, I have been free. And it has rejuvenated my soul. All of this has come about, of course, because Jillian was happily and not so happily settled in Georgia with her friends. In the process of this extended trip I feel like I have had what used to be called a Sabbatical. In my mind, a Sabbatical encompasses an extended break from routine with the intent of renewal and refreshing. This is what I have had, and here are my reasons why I think we all need frequent Sabbaticals.

1. God commanded them!
In fact, God had in mind a rest every seven days: a quaint concept that deserves to be revived. Do you think he actually knows better than we do? Hmmm.

2. Physical refreshment
Taking a break from my normal "mom" routine brought a renewed desire to get to the gym, go to sleep, eat better. Somehow I remembered that I am...well...me.

3. Spiritual renewal
Having time to listen to some of my favorite preachers online, read some new authors and just stop in God's presence reaped rewards in my perspective and faith.

4. Intellectual renewal
David and I discovered that we were ambushed with creative thought processes and ideas. We could hardly stop hopping on the internet to research, and you don't want to know how much we spent at bookstores. On long drives to and from Atlanta we tossed around ideas as wide-ranging as new business opportunities, how to deal with Jillian and Kylie, living more simply and locally at home and how we'd like to support our church in the future. Wow.

5. Creativity returns
With the lack of demand on my time and energies my mind also turned to creative pursuits. I did a lot of journaling and sketching. I decided to start photography, and to learn how to photo shop. 

6. Returning to our routine a different person
I guess this is the bottom line. I had intended to put down ten reasons to take a Sabbatical, but now that I have thought about it, this is the ultimate word from me tonight. Returning to my routine tonight I realized that I am not the same person I was three weeks ago. I have met new people, thought new thoughts, read new books, had many, many conversations. Jillian is not the same person, either. She is older, wiser, and more ready for change. My horizons expanded this month, and once expanded they refuse to shrink back into shape. I can't wait to see what that means!

So there you have it. My Sabbatical. You know what? I'm thinking of taking every Sunday and pretending that I am free again. I want to build room in my life to hear God's voice, and margin enough that I can do something about it when I hear it. So maybe this blog, started in the middle of the night and focused on nothing in particular, maybe this blog will help me reimagine my life. It is time for a new focus. Wanna join me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to do this too!